Brendan S. 

I have tried so many times to join some type of support group, but with the rarity of Narcolepsy it became difficult. My story is a very long and winding road that lead up to me meeting with my doctor, even though I was so stubborn that there was never anything wrong with me. I commuted everyday to University of Louisville from home, which is 104 miles round trip; no matter what time of day, how many hours of sleep I got, or how awake I felt, within 10 minutes of being in the car my eyes felt super heavy and my head would begin to tilt back. I would fight it until eventually my brain would shut down for a few milliseconds- to a few seconds to regain some sort of wakefulness. I always thought it was my diet or that I was drinking so much caffeine. I tried to change everything I could, but no matter what I did, within 10 minutes of being in the car, I was asleep or fighting it. This happened also while I was taking classes at Uofl. I would be so engaged in a subject and really enjoy the conversation that I would be involved in in class and I would get an inevitable jerk in my leg, moments later getting very sleepy and ultimately falling asleep. I was diagnosed during my Sophmore year at the University of Louisville. During my Sophmore year I went from being a REACH Ambassador, which was a big deal because my passion was to help others and as a REACH Ambassador I was able to help incoming Freshman survive their first year. I was a part of a special group of Ambassadors that came from a scholarship I was awarded for being low income. During that time I had 5 students that I got to have meetings with, emails, and actual friendships with. When I went back for training in the spring of my sophomore year I was told to report to my Supervisors office. He told me that because I had a bad semester (1.3 gpa; I was falling asleep in my 8am, and every class past that), I needed to step down as an Ambassador because I couldn’t help others if I couldn’t help myself. I was devastated! I thought that I had my opportunity to make a difference pulled out from under me because I was having problems that I couldn’t understand and I couldn’t fix. That semester I was given a different job, I was to sit in an office and study; nothing more, nothing less. Even then I would fall asleep and my Supervisor finally started to realize that the problem I was facing was bigger than I could handle. It was his recommendation that I go and see my doctor about my issues and that was the first time I heard the word Narcolepsy come out of someone’s mouth. My Physician set up my sleep test and within a week I was diagnosed. That was 2 years ago and each day I have my ups and downs. I struggled so much, but I made it through some of my darkest days. I boosted my GPA back up and graduated from the University and now I currently work for UofL while pursuing my masters. 

Here is where we feature the stories of our clients and friends.  If you would like to share your story, CLICK HERE.

SSL site seal - click to verify